Tuesday, February 2, 2010

North Dakota

I have been in North Dakota since November 28th 2009 and I have found that a lot of people working here have no clue what is going on. The housing office on base keeps telling me different things, I know I have to wait for a house I understand that. Although it would be nice to let my landlord know about how long we will be renting from her, she is great and we are going month to month but I would like to give her an idea of when she may need to start looking for new tenants. I changed our AAA car insurance to North Dakota in the middle of December. When I was talking to our agent I told him because this is a temporary move we will not be changing our driver license. He said it was fine because we are military. He then called me a week ago to inform me that we had fifteen days to change our license. I called the lawyer on base and she said as long as we do not register to vote or buy a house we can keep our Nevada driver license. I talked to Nevada DMV, they told me as long as we have a physical address in Nevada we can keep out license there forever. I called the AAA agent back and told him I spoke to a lawyer, he sent the information to his management. I called him a few days ago and he told me not to worry about it, telling them I had a lawyer scared them and they will not press the issue. They know they were breaking the law by telling me to change my license, I feel bad for the people who just do what they are told and don't check into it. Before going to the DMV to change my registration Darin and I called to see what we needed to bring. They said all we needed to bring was the old registration. I brought everything I had to be on the safe side, and thank goodness I did. We did not need the old registration all we needed was the title and an id. I have learned to bring any information I have everywhere I go and to double and triple check any information I am given. I am very glad there are lawyers on base to help me out. By the time we get ready to PCS again I should know the laws pretty well and I will make sure before we get to the new state I will know those laws as well.

1 comment:

  1. You dont have to change your license. It was signed into law that you can maintain a license in your sponser's HOR state.